Re: Kernel modules: DF versus FBSD?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:23:36 -0700 (PDT)

:The kernel image loads normally.  If I type 'load green_saver'
:the message is:
:'don't know how to load module /boot/kernel/green_saver.ko'
:
:I can then proceed to boot the kernel with no modules loaded.

    It doesn't understand the file format.  I think FreeBSD changed
    the output format for the modules.

    If I look in /archive/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/conf.c
    I notice that FreeBSD's boot loader now lists four file formats intstead
    of the two we have:

    extern struct file_format       i386_elf;		US
    extern struct file_format       amd64_elf;

    extern struct file_format       i386_elf;		THEM
    extern struct file_format       i386_elf_obj;
    extern struct file_format       amd64_elf;
    extern struct file_format       amd64_elf_obj;

    I suggest getting support for i386_elf_obj and amd64_elf_obj into
    our boot loader and seeing if that fixes the problem.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>