Re: FF & varsym

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:55:21 -0700 (PDT)

:...
:This seems weird to me: userland should not know about varsym content
:(except for those programs that explicitly deal with it, through
:varsym_* system calls, of course), and instead should be given an
:"interpreted" path, should they ?
:
:Any enlightenment much appreciated :-)
:
:Francis

    Userland has visibility into the varsym if it reads the contents
    of the symlink, which in this case it does.

    Why firefox is doing that I have no idea.  It would be possible to
    adjust the lstat code to resolve the varsym in the returned buffer
    but doing it by default creates a problem when you tar or cpdup
    a directory tree because you wind up breaking the varsym.  So for
    now I think the only real solution is to modify firefox to understand
    varsyms.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>