Dragonfly 1.6 upgraded by cvs

From: "Nuno Antunes" <nuno.antunes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:19:57 +0100

On 8/29/07, acmeyer@uni-osnabrueck.de <acmeyer@uni-osnabrueck.de> wrote:
> Hi ALL,

Hi

> i realised, that the 1.6 kernel "generic" used to detect my HD ( my laptop
> only has this HD ) as "ad0" ...
> but the new kernel ( i only took out floppy soupport on the kernelconfig
> ... maybe this is a problem ? - my laptop has no floppy ? )
> detects the HD as ad1.

This is just a "me too". I also have a system where the only hard disk
started to be detected as da1 instead of da0 (this was somewhere
between 1.8 and 1.10). For the curious, a current dmesg is attached.

> THIS is a problem because the rootfilesystem used to be on "ad 0 s3a"
> ... for "ad 1 s3a" there is no entry in /dev ... so i could not manage to
> mount it.
>
> because i am a little bit naiv i thought changeing the FStab from ad0 to
> ad1 would do...
> ( i booted in kernel.old and changed FStab )

I did have a da1 in /dev so changing fstab did work for me so i forgot
about the problem.

> but now none of the kernels can locate the rootfilesystem...
>
> - without mounted root i am not able to write at the disc;
>
> so how to cope with my problem?

Can you boot a live cd to fix it?

> ( i would prefere to know how to create devices in /dev  or to say the
> kernel  that my HD has to be ad0 )

cd /dev
. /MAKEDEV ad1

Good luck!