renaming the current working directory (cwd)

From: Vincent <vs1@xxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Jan 2008 03:24:07 GMT

Hi.

If my cwd gets renamed by another process, it disappears out from under
me.

To reproduce:

$ mkdir zzz1
$ cd zzz1

In another shell:

$ mv zzz1 zzz2

Back in the first shell:

$ ls
ls: .: No such file or directory
$ cd ..
cd: no such file or directory: ..

This seems to be unique to Dragonfly.  I tested on FreeBSD, NetBSD, and
Linux and, it does not affect the shell that was in the directory
because it was never deleted.  I verified, in Dragonfly, that the inode
number of the directory did not change after being renamed.

Is this a bug or a feature?

I am running DragonflyBSD 1.10.1-RELEASE