Re: cvsup

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:04:52 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, January 19, 2008 3:24 am, Vincent Stemen wrote:
> The only actual comparison test results I have found so far, other than
> what I posted, are from Justin Sherril, who posted some test
> results on the dragonfly.users mailing list back in April of 2007
> indicating cvsup was moderately faster at the time.  So far as I can
> tell, he only tested the client side as well.

I was actually surprised to see cvsup faster at the time.  Speed isn't of
paramount importance here - one doesn't exclude the other from being used.
 The 'best' choice is probably the one that is easiest to set up, most
widely available, and the most well-documented.  That will probably be
rsync in the near future.

Interestingly, I was just looking at a tool at my workplace that uses
rsync for daily backups from a good number of systems (~350 or so).  Its
biggest impact was in terms of processing power, especially on the server.
 As Garance said, the effect on the mirroring host is also important.