Re: How to rebuild LiveCD

From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:14:57 +0100

Haidut wrote:
The DFLY "release" process I think is geared towards creating an
"installation" live CD. It will boot but won't be a ready-to run GUI
environment just like your HDD deployment but rather a live CD from
which you can install the applications you chose to include when
creating this custom "release" CD.

I'm with Matt on this one. If someone does such a thing, please integrate it into the nrelease framework. Something like "make gui release" or so.

In fact, I hacked a bit on it once, and the main issues up to the point where I got (I think it was starting up X from the CD but not much more) were iirc:

1) That with pkgsrc it seemed impossible to have meta packages on a local drive and have it download their dependencies from some mirror.

2) Adjusting to the current CD setup where most available disk space is read only. A real effort would probably include laying out filesystems differently.

I also think it should be a live DVD then. But it depends on the packages you'd want on it, of course.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx