Re: Dragonfly Routers

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:26:48 +0000

Dave Hayes wrote:
Has anyone here tried to use DragonFly BSD as a router where the box had
more than 4 network interfaces? I'm wondering if too many network
interfaces on one machine would have performance issues?

What sort of hardware, application, load?

I've run six pci-bus 10/100 NICs as an ipfw(1) bridging router under FreeBSD 4.8, 1 GHz Celeron, 512 MB PC133 SDRAM with acceptable performance.

Ergo I wouldn't expect DragonFly to take a back seat relative to any of the other *BSD's - or Linuces.

Not for any readily available off-the shelf hardware that can actually run a full-house Operating System (e.g. 'PC' acting as a router).

Serious router/firewall kit is on a different 'Planet' (or Cisco, or ..)
and better served with an RTOS.

Bill