Re: Hammer - block size

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:23:48 -0700 (PDT)

:I've been reading the DF mail archives the last few days about Hammer, and
:it looks very good!
:
:Today I saw a review of 1TB hard drives, and there are some interesting
:charts on sequential I/O performance showing that the "sweet spot" is
:128K, across many vendors' drives:
:
:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/1tb-hdd-roundup_10.html
:
:On some drives, there is not much difference: 110MB/s for 64K vs 120MB/s
:for 128K.  But with other drives (WD), the difference is 105MB/s for 64K
:vs 185MB/s for 128K.
:..
:Good luck with your 2.0 release!
:Jim

     Damn.  Look at those prices!  So nice!  We're going to be drowning
     in multi-terrabyte drives by mid-next-year, for sure.

     I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers, the sequential
     performance is almost irrelevant.  It's the random read and write
     performance that matters the most.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>