Re: /boot as a boot partition

From: Thomas Nikolajsen <thomas.nikolajsen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:27:48 +0200

>Another small roadbump. I got myself a new shiny HDD and decided that since I am to move my installation over to it anyways, >it's HAMMER time for real. Time to stop testing and start using. Long story short, one eye at /usr/share/examples/rconfig/>hammer.sh and off I went setting things up and cpduping stuff over. Changed the necessary stuff and rebooted. Snag...
>
>---8<-----
>loader: not a directory
>No /boot/loader
>
>BTX loader 1.00 ...
>. . . DragonFly/i386 bootstrap loader ...
>. ..
>can't open '/boot/loader.4th' : no such file or directory
>
>/kernel ...
>Hit [Enter] to boot immediatly, ...
>---8<-----
>
>OK, loader prompt up and after telling it about the usb thingy, where the modules actually are, where the root fs and the smp >kernel are, it booted. I guess something is missing when it comes to having /boot on it's own small partition. Or I missed telling >the system something important.

Try deleting occurrences of '/boot/' from /boot/loader.rc.

And set vfs.mount.mountfrom in /boot/loader.conf.

If you are working from a fresh install from HEAD this shouldn't be needed,
as loader.rc has been changed in CVS;
I guess we should put a note in UPDATING
(loader.rc isn't touched by `make upgrade' as it's a user config file)

Also: gpt(8) (HEAD) has an example (with note on deleting '/boot/' from loader.rc)
of installing system using HAMMER as root file system.
loader(8) (HEAD) describes

 -thomas