Re: VLC problem running on DragonFly 2.0.0

From: "Archimedes Gaviola" <archimedes.gaviola@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:07:52 +0800

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Archimedes Gaviola
<archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Archimedes Gaviola
> <archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Hi again.

>>>    Usually you add support either by compiling it into the kernel or
>>> by loading the modules.
>>>    If you use GENERIC the line 'snd_hda_load="YES"' in
>>> /boot/loader.conf should load the module.
>>>    'kldload snd_hda' at a prompt works too.
>>
>> Yes you're right. kldload is the alternative way of loading modules.

>>>    In console? Do you mean without running Xorg?
>>
>> Yes, executing at the terminal console with command-line way of
>> running VLC. The terminal console is running also on top of Xorg/Xfce
>> environment.

>>>    Do you start it from a menu? What is the start command for that
>>> menu item? You could try
>>>    to change it to include ktrace, something like 'ktrace vlc'.
>>>        If you'd like a large ktrace dump file, you could try a
>>> complete ktrace of xfce. Try 'ktrace -i startx'.
>>>    Remember this will generate a LARGE dump file. 'ktrace -C' turns
>>> all ongoing tracing off.
>>>

>> Yes, I start it from the Xfce4 menu then proceed to multimedia
>> sub-menu where VLC is located. VLC will appear on this area after
>> pkgsrc installation. Clicking VLC here will cause the VLC process to
>> die or exit right away and a core dumped message will be reported on
>> the dmesg. Okay, I'll try ktrace with your recommended parameters.

>>>    I don't know how xfce does this kind of things. Maybe you need to
>>> change something in its sound
>>>    settings or add a startup option. Does sound work at all within
>>> xfce, or is it only vlc that fails?
>>
>> I do an ongoing investigation of the problem, I will check sound card
>> related configurations. Sound works with Xfce4 because as I've tried
>> another multimedia player MPlayer, it will work on this sound card.
>>
>>>  Did you compile xfce yourself or did you use packages?
>>
>> I encountered problems while compiling VLC on DragonFly-2.0.0 with the
>> latest release (0.9.4) on a tarball source and I still need to report
>> this to the VLC support forum. Xfce4 was compiled using pkgsrc
>> (2008Q2). Below is the info of the package.

As I've promised, here's the package info of Xfce4 on my laptop. I
also have the ktrace output of my VLC. Since the ktrace output is a
very very large file (around 40MB) then I only filter the VLC-specific
results. Unfortunately, the filtered VLC ktrace output was still big
enough to be sent, so I compressed it as attached. I have also
observed that the firefox3 on my laptop do core dumped too, a very
similar behavior to VLC that when you run it over Xfce4 environment,
its process will die right away and a core dumped on the dmesg is
reported. But this problem is intermittent which happens very unusual.

$pkg_info -v xfce4

parsing: .
path: /home/archiev6/.
Information for xfce4-4.4.2nb1:

Comment:
Xfce

Requires:
xfce4-mixer>=4.4.2
xfce4-mousepad>=0.2.13
xfce4-icon-theme>=4.4.2
xfce4-print>=4.4.2
xfce4-appfinder>=4.4.2
xfce4-xarchiver>=0.4.6
xfce4-orage>=4.4.2
xfce4-wm-themes>=4.4.2
xfce4-wm>=4.4.2
xfce4-desktop>=4.4.2
xfce4-gtk2-engine>=2.4.2
xfce4-panel>=4.4.2
xfce4-session>=4.4.2
xfce4-terminal>=0.2.8
xfce4-utils>=4.4.2
libSM>=0.99.2
gtk2+>=2.8.17nb1
glib2>=2.14.3

Built using:
xfce4-mixer-4.4.2
xfce4-mousepad-0.2.13
xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2
xfce4-print-4.4.2
xfce4-appfinder-4.4.2
xfce4-xarchiver-0.4.6
xfce4-orage-4.4.2
xfce4-wm-themes-4.4.2
xfce4-wm-4.4.2
xfce4-desktop-4.4.2
xfce4-gtk2-engine-2.4.2
xfce4-panel-4.4.2
xfce4-session-4.4.2
xfce4-terminal-0.2.8
xfce4-utils-4.4.2
libSM-1.0.3nb1
gtk2+-2.12.10
glib2-2.16.3nb3
libtool-base-1.5.24nb6
intltool-0.40.0
gmake-3.81
gettext-tools-0.14.6nb1
perl-5.8.8nb8
pkg-config-0.23
fixesproto-4.0
randrproto-1.2.1nb1
xextproto-7.0.3
xineramaproto-1.1.2
inputproto-1.4.3
renderproto-0.9.3nb1
kbproto-1.0.3
xproto-7.0.13
xfce4-dev-tools-4.4.0.1

Required by:
xfce4-extras-4.4.2nb1

Xfce is the next generation of the popular Xfce desktop.

This package does not contain anything by itself -- it is a
"meta-package" that depends on other Xfce packages. Its sole
purpose is to require dependencies so users can install this
package only and have all the Xfce stuff pulled in by the package
dependency mechanism.

This package installs Xfce without any extras.

Homepage:
http://www.xfce.org/

Packing list:
       CWD to: /usr/pkg
       Package name: xfce4-4.4.2nb1
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-mixer-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-mixer>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-mousepad-0.2.13
       Package depends on: xfce4-mousepad>=0.2.13
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-icon-theme>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-print-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-print>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-appfinder-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-appfinder>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-xarchiver-0.4.6
       Package depends on: xfce4-xarchiver>=0.4.6
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-orage-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-orage>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-wm-themes-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-wm-themes>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-wm-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-wm>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-desktop-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-desktop>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-gtk2-engine-2.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-gtk2-engine>=2.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-panel-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-panel>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-session-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-session>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-terminal-0.2.8
       Package depends on: xfce4-terminal>=0.2.8
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-utils-4.4.2
       Package depends on: xfce4-utils>=4.4.2
       Package depends exactly on: libSM-1.0.3nb1
       Package depends on: libSM>=0.99.2
       Package depends exactly on: gtk2+-2.12.10
       Package depends on: gtk2+>=2.8.17nb1
       Package depends exactly on: glib2-2.16.3nb3
       Package depends on: glib2>=2.14.3
       Package depends exactly on: libtool-base-1.5.24nb6
       Package depends exactly on: intltool-0.40.0
       Package depends exactly on: gmake-3.81
       Package depends exactly on: gettext-tools-0.14.6nb1
       Package depends exactly on: perl-5.8.8nb8
       Package depends exactly on: pkg-config-0.23
       Package depends exactly on: fixesproto-4.0
       Package depends exactly on: randrproto-1.2.1nb1
       Package depends exactly on: xextproto-7.0.3
       Package depends exactly on: xineramaproto-1.1.2
       Package depends exactly on: inputproto-1.4.3
       Package depends exactly on: renderproto-0.9.3nb1
       Package depends exactly on: kbproto-1.0.3
       Package depends exactly on: xproto-7.0.13
       Package depends exactly on: xfce4-dev-tools-4.4.0.1
       Comment: xfce4-4.4.2nb1 has no files.