Re: Console screen corruption?

To: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:27:56 +0100

walt schrieb:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Sascha Wildner wrote:

walt schrieb:
I've installed dfly using the kvm/qemu emulator and I'm seeing
strange corruption of the console screen at times.
Does it happen randomly or when you do some specific thing? Did you change the
mode using vidcontrol(8) or does it happen with plain 80x25?

Plain 80x25. In fact I wish I could remember how to change to 80x50 :o)

Hm, you can change to 80x50 with 'vidcontrol -f 8x8 iso-8x8.fnt 80x50'. After trying 80x50, switch back to 80x25 with 'vidcontrol 80x25' and check if the problem persists.

Also, can you recompile with

options VGA_DEBUG=2
options FB_DEBUG=2

in your kernel config and post or mail me a verbose boot message?

AFAIK we don't mess with the VGA registers for our initial 80x25 (we just take the BIOS settings).

I just discovered by accident that if I keep typing (any) characters
the characters will disappear randomly as I type, until I get a linewrap.

Weird, I tried DragonFly in plain Windows qemu and the console behaves fine.

At that point the entire line I just typed suddenly appears normal. If
I continue typing on the (wrapped) line, it will again blank out chars
randomly until I reach the second linewrap, when *both* lines on the
screen suddenly appear normal again.

Does that mean anything to you? Pretty mysterious to me.

Yes, seems weird. I hope we can find the cause.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx