Re: HEADS UP: Dropping ISA & EISA support

From: David Rhodus <sdrhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 18:31:09 -0500

I'm curious how the vga driver will be affected.
I have a few old systems still in production that run console only that use ISA video cards.

Do you have a patch set to test the ISA removal ?

-DR

Sascha Wildner wrote:
Just to clarify:

After 2.2 has been branched (end of January), we'll start dropping support for _all_ ISA and EISA cards, not just the NICs.

We can't drop ISA support completely of course because of things like PS/2 (atkbdc(4), ...), vga(4) and so on but support for everything involving a physical ISA card being plugged into a physical ISA slot is planned to be nuked.

A list of ISA drivers is on the isa(4) manual page, but I guess you know if there are ISA slots in your box and whether you use them.

Please speak up if you think that this is not a good idea. :)

Sascha