off-box mirror-stream and friends

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 04:41:05 +0800

I have what appears to be a 'Catch 22', wherein:

hammer mirror-stream /master <user>@<remote_IP>:/new_slave

returns:

PFS slave /new-slave does not exist.
Do you want to create a new slave PFS? (yes|no) No terminal for response
Aborting operation
validate_mrec_header: short read

'No terminal for response' .was ass u me ed to be a byproduct of comign in off an Xfce4-terminal (Xorg & Xfce4 are quite happy on 2.3.0, BTW)

Dropped back out to the raw tty0 console and tried it from there.

No joy.

Not known to me (with only two DFLY boxen so far) if that would succeed is BOTH source and destination were remote from the box making the call.

It does not suceed if he IP of the local host is used - only adds the inability to get both passwords into the waiting mouths.

Command *appear* to succeed if/as/when I *manually* create 'new_slave' in advance with a matching shared_uuid. A local mirror-copy to it suceeds, with new_slave showing the files mirrored.

However, while the -vvv flag gives 5-sec updates, they all show a newer starting point that pfs-status has for the target, and the contents of the slave never change.

That holds true even if I add, edit, or delete files on the /master, and if I reblock the master after so doing.

By way of contrast, mirror-stream between on-box master and on-box slave - same command otherwise - works fine. No chdir needed to see the updates, just a 'View, Reload' in thunar and sputniks.

Query: Can the loop that seeks a 'yes' be changed to a 5-second countdown-timer with a message such as:

Creating <new_slave> Hit Ctrl-c to abort

. .absent which it JFDI.

Thanks,

Bill Hacker