Re: OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 00:55:07 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, February 21, 2009 10:17 pm, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> I'm a little surprised to see BSD put alongside Linux when it comes to
> "development pace".  Fact of the matter is, Linux wins when it comes to
> pace/speed of development -- they have more kernel folks, more eyes,
> a significantly larger user-base for testing, and absurd amounts of
> commercial backing/support from actual hardware vendors.  Sun has
> some of this, but it's gotten worse (IMHO) since they started going
> the x86 route.  BSD often trails behind Linux by 3-5 years.

I'll drag this even more off-topic and point out that thinking of the
progress of BSD systems compared to Linux (or Solaris or Windows etc.) as
a linear process, while valid, will never work out to anyone's
satisfaction.  Nobody likes playing permanent catch-up.

I agree with what Jeremy said, and think we need to work on what features
make BSD, and specifically DragonFly BSD, special.  Hammer is a big effort
in that direction.