Re: 1 week until Summer of Code application time

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:25:07 +0100

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Thu, March 5, 2009 1:36 am, Archimedes Gaviola wrote:
Hi Justin,

Just want to suggest and share this idea (without mentoring) about
virtual routing based on this link here
Although I'm not so sure if this is already implemented in the
project, so just correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, virtual routing
is a concept of emulating multiple instances of routing tables (RIB
and FIB) intended for running multi-independent network services.

This sounds like work separating out the routing table between jails, or perhaps vkernels. I may be naive, however. Write this out on: http://www.dragonflybsd.org/gsoc2009/ as a potential project; there doesn't have to be a mentor attached to an idea. (not yet, anyway.)

I don't really see the benefit in this. Either you combine forwarding tables into one table, or you... well, that's actually it. I guess the larger part is more on a control plane level than on a data plane level, so that would more be a xorp project, I guess. I might also miss the point completely.