Re: pkgsrc: libidn

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:24:53 +0200

Petr Janda wrote:
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.2: Shared object "libidn.so.11.5.39" not found,
> required by "konqueror"

That's how pkgsrc works at the moment. I agree that it should handle the
situation much better, but ...

> What happens is that all the packages were compiled against this
> version of libidn and when it gets updated everything shits itself. I
> think packages should compile against a symbolic link(libidn.so) to
> libidn that doesnt have the version in it.

And if the library contains API/ABI incompatible change?

> Can we do something about this?

Not really unless you don't want to put significant resources making
pkgsrc much better regarding update procedure.

> P.S: are we going to put pkgsrc in git (which links to the netbsd CVS)?
> I think it would be much easier to roll our own patches and stuff this
> way.

If we can't put significant resources into it, no.

--
Hasso Tepper