Re: Mid-term release 2.2.1 slated for Sunday

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:39:33 +0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Question: (particularly given HAMMER's penchant for large media...)
:
:Will the 'stock' installer be GUID Partition Table capable?
:(including creation as, installation to, and boot from)
:
:Bill Hacker

Not unless someone did the work to integrate gpt into the installer.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@backplane.com>

No way I'll have anything definitive in time, so not to worry.

I'm working with manual approach on FreeBSD, trialing editing and migration using DragonFlyBSD on FreeBSD-created GPT and the reverse.
Just about to introduce NetBSD-current into that mix. OpenBSD 'later' if at all.

What I am after is an 'agnostic' stand-alone-capable maintenance toolset to support both portability/sharing of 'data' storage (UFS "1" if need be) and multi-boot. I'm hoping to side-step the NIH legacy disklabel disjoint between/among the *BSD's.

Looks to be more a scripting exercise than coding - the tools are generally already there in each OS.

Regards,

Bill