Re: amd64 ISO ?

From: Antonio Huete Jimenez <ahuete.devel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 12:25:02 +0200

> Hi Antonio:
>
> Thank you for your reply.
You are welcome.

> In that case, as per my understanding:
>
> . download dfly 2.2.1 dvd iso for intel
You can install also on AMD processor or any other x86 compatible
(starting from 486 :)

> . install dfly 2.2.1 on a i386/intel box
>
> . login as root
>
> . update BINPKG_SITES in /etc/settings.conf
>
> . pkg_add -v scmgit
>
> . cd /usr
>
> . make git-clone
>
> . cd /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/qemu
>
> . make install clean
Not needed, the test suite will do this for you. I don't know if this
will interfere with the QEMU version installed by the test suite.

> . cd /usr/src/test/amd64
>
> . http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/blob/HEAD:/test/amd64/Makefile
>  there is just a Makefile
You can issue 'make help' to see its targets.

>  # make all
>
> . qemu-system-x86_64 -m 900m root.img
>
> Does this look ok to you ?

No, for using the test suite you should follow this instructions:

# su -
# cd /usr/src/test/amd64
# mkdir /home/qemu (or whatever directory of your choice)
# setenv QEMUDIR /home/qemu
# make scratch
. ...
. ........
(This will take a bit. It prepares everything for you to test AMD64 under qemu )
In the Makefile is specified scratch: qemu world32 world64 kernel64
root64 install64 sysloader.
It can take a ~1,5 hours in a Athlon x2 3800+ 2GB RAM
. ........
. .....

Once done you can issue
# make run

Or alternatively if you have X (and after setting DISPLAY for root)
# make xrun
** This would be the standard way of doing it but as of now amd64 it
is not booting properly now because pmap() is being worked out. **

You can cherry-pick changes from
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~smtms/dragonfly.git/shortlog/refs/heads/amd64%2Bhacks
and apply to your master branch on your main repo checkout, or just
checkout that branch (amd64+hacks) in a different dir and repeat the
procedure above described.

> Additionally, i've the following queries:
>
>  . what do i specify for BINPKG_SITES
It is for pkg_radd script.

>  . do i need to create a hdd image using qemu-img to be used as
>   hard disk ?
No, it is created by the test suite.

>  . dfly 2.2.1 liveCD on startx just seems to hang, so is it a
>   better approach to install it first to the disk ?
Dunno. I haven't tried the LiveDVD since a while.

>  . what do i need to do to get the network 'bridge' work ?
I haven't found this yet :)

> Appreciate your replies and suggestions.
>

> thanks
> Saifi.

Hope this helps.
Antonio