Re: mail/mailx question

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 11:35:30 +0800

Tim Darby wrote:
I was trying to write a mail script and couldn't find a way to set the
"from" field to an arbitrary address.  Is there a way to do this with
the base mail client?  I ended up installing mutt to solve the
problem.

Tim

AFAIK, you will need to have your script bypass mail, Mail, mailx and call the MTA binary directly:

man sendmail, the -F and -f options.

exim fully supports both flags.

courier-mta probably does also. Not currently installed here.

postfix 'sendmail option' interface supports at least the '-F'.

Bill