Re: HEADS UP - devfs integration update. iscsi now alpha.

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:25:23 -0700 (PDT)

:Matt, do you think it's worth to even drive this one step further by
:probing device slices for HAMMER (or other types of) filesystems, and
:create devfs entries like /dev/hammer/fsid or /dev/hammer/volname.volno?
:
:This would, in case of HAMMER, make devtab kind of superfluous, despite
:being very useful in general.
:
:Regards,
:
:   Michael

    I think we have to be very careful when trying to identify drives
    by the data stored on them.  Maintainance tasks such as someone, say,
    dd'ing a disk image, could blow in our faces from depending on it.

    My preference is to mount by serial number or other hard IDs.

    This isn't to say we couldn't probe the filesystems anyway and
    report how to glue things together.  I just don't think doing it
    automatically is necessarily a good idea.

    One thing we really need to do now that iscsi is being tracked is
    to store authentication info on the drive and use iscsi's
    authentication framework to make drives portable between machines.
    So if you have machines which use iscsi roots it then would not
    matter which machine the physical drive is plugged into.  That would
    be very, very cool.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>