Re: cpdup: get latest source tarball, or git?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:07:33 -0700 (PDT)

:In the process of updating Fedora's cpdup package, I started looking at
:Dragonfly's gitweb, in order to write an update summary. The timestamp
:on the tarball for cpdup 1.14 (March 2009), surprisingly, is *before*
:the release number bump is committed to git. It is, however, *after* a
:patch to the manpage has been committed in git, yet this patch is not in
:the released tarball.
:
:and whether patch contributions from outside packagers should target the
:latest standalone release, or target the git master? In this case, I
:have two patches, the first one will still apply either way, but the
:second patch fixes more typo errors in the manpage, and looking at the
:git changelog, will probably not apply without some changes since that
:file has been touched several times.
:
:Thanks,
:
:Michel Salim

    The one in our git repo is the master copy.  I try to maintain
    separate copies when individuals ask for specific portable items,
    and also for packaging systems which want to fetch tarballs with
    ftp, but I don't always manage to sync them up.

    Because tarballs are MD5'd by packaging systems I can't update them
    once released, short of rolling another version.  I don't like rolling
    another version just for minor non-operational changes such as
    modifications to manual pages.