Re: pkgsrc builds for 2009Q3/i386 started

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:12:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, October 11, 2009 1:34 pm, Saifi Khan wrote:

> If one is working with a daily snapshot version, what is the
> recommended way to pull in binary packages eg. editor, debugger,
> irc client etc ?
>
> or is it like,
> lets say i'm using 20091015 snapshot and since 2.4.1 was
> released on 20090930, hence one can use binary packages for 2.4
> ?
>
> i'm leaning towards asking if there is something like a
> 'current' binary pkgsrc build envisaged or one should pull in
> the pkgsrc-2009Q3 meta package (FreeBSD ports of Gentoo portage
> like) and compile out the stuff one needs.

If you look at avalon.dragonflybsd.org, you will see there's directories
by architecture (i386 or amd64) and version (DragonFly-2.2, DragonFly-2.4,
etc.)  In general, you can use the number you see from uname -r as a
guide.  What you have installed should say something like 2.4 or 2.4.0, so
the 2.4 packages will work.  2.4.1 packages are also acceptable.

Packages will generally work, even if it was built for a different
release.  Occasionally there are version differences that will affect
that, like between 2.3.0 and 2.3.1, but those are an exception rather than
the rule.  Some of the material on avalon is actually built for other
versions, and the separate directories are just linked together.

pkg_radd will automatically go to the right directory and download the
appropriate software for you.  e.g. 'pkg_radd vim'.  You may get a warning
that the software was built for 2.4.1 and you are on 2.4.0 or something
similar, but it's a harmless warning.

The 'stable' link in each directory goes to the newest set of quarterly
packages available; I'm not building pkgsrc-current right now.  I (or
someone) may in the future; quarterly releases usually have the most
working packages so those are the best first targets.