Re: make, bmake and gmake

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:35:56 +0200

Saifi Khan wrote:
Is there a difference between 'make' and 'bmake' on DragonFly
BSD 2.4.1 ?

make is "our" make utility which belongs to our base. It's the very same make utility that is used to build world and kernel or to checkout the git src repository when you type 'make src-checkout' inside /usr. make(1) can only parse our own Makefiles.

One more query i have is that, the 'make' referred to in the
parallism analysis posted by Simon Shubert is the native
DragonFly BSD make, is that correct ?

Yes. Standard buildworld/buildkernel procedure.

i would like to run the tests on my AMD64 dual core box and
hopefully can contribute some data for Simon Shubert's analysis.

if I find the time I'll commit a small script which will do all the processing.

cheers
  simon

--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low CHF NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /