Re: dumpon

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:23:24 -0800 (PST)

:If it is already done, why can't I get a dump? I'd like to get a dump of the
:panic. Should I try booting with ACPI on and the swapfile turned off?
:
:Pierre

    Hmm.  Is the dump partition big enough to hold all of main memory?

    Another possibility is kernel vs world mismatch.  The dumpon and
    savecore utilities.

    There are two stages to the dump.  The first is setting the dump device
    and panicing the kernel.  The console should show the dump being written
    out (it usually takes a few seconds).  Did you see that?

    The second is savecore copies the dump to /var/crash after the
    machine reboots.  Sometimes savecore is problems finding the dump
    device if it isn't on the swap device, which can be worked around
    by specifying the dump device as an additional parameter.  e.g.
    'savecore /var/crash /dev/da0s1b'.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>