Re: PFS mirroring insted of RAID Improved set up - need comments.

From: Siju George <sgeorge.ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:14:13 +0530

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Matthew Dillon
<dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

>    In terms of booting, if that is a worry then buy a $100 SSD and boot
>    from thatAnd, as
>    I mentioned, a single $100 SSD solves the problem anyway.  People
>    need to remember that the motherboard itself is not redundant so
>    frankly if you need a solution for booting you also need a solution
>    for a motherboard going bad.

I understand Matt, but over here the problem is the cost of the SSD.
The Server as a whole costs only $350 so it is not possible to get an
SSD of $100 sanctioned :-(

So I guess rsyncing / from one Disk to another will work ( given that
/usr, /var, /home and Data are mirrored )  ? how do I update the boot
code on the secong disk? Also since I am following dfly development I
guess if I dont use mirror-stream I can have a backup of the old
system in the second disk just in case I get a surprise during
system/pkgsrc update?

Thanks :-)

--Siju