Re: First file to look at in dragonfly src tree

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 19:37:36 +0000

Vivek Ayer wrote:

I just checked out the dragonfly src tree from avalon and was wondering which source file you all would recommend to look at first to get a feel for how the kernel and system works. I supposed wherever 'int main' is, right?

Agree with Sascha r.e. finding some place of interest.. I'd say:

I suppose this depends on what you are trying to learn first -

if you are wondering about generics of how the kernel runs processes, threads, handles system calls, etc, Personally, I'd take a look at the VKERNEL code -

/usr/src/sys/platform/vkernel/

As it's fairly simple to understand the bootstrap, without worrying about so much of the hardware-specific booting (such as bus device enumeration, etc)

If you're trying to write a new device driver, this might not be so helpful - in which case I'd check out the appropriate bus drivers first (e.g. pci, etc)

And do yourself a favor and fetch a copy of cscope. Just trust me on that one :)

Good luck!