Re: HAMMER and RAID question

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

:Hello,
:
:let me start this first by admitting that I know next to nothing about
:designing and implementing file systems.  It is just that I've been
:naively thinking about things.
:
:It is my understanding that code has been added to reblock files during
:production use.  Could this not also be the foundation of RAID-like
:functionality? If blocklists had a notion that a block needs to exist on
:at least two physical volumes, mirroring would already be there.
:
:Or is this too far away from what HAMMER does internally these days?
:
:Thank you,
:  Konrad Neuwirth

    Theoretically the B-Tree could be used to list multiple copies of
    a data block but it would really complicate the filesystem.  HAMMER's
    media structure is designed for replication across distinct copies
    of the filesystem rather than trying to maintain redundancy within
    a single copy of the filesystem.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>