HAMMER/DF crash while mounting smbfs

From: "Krzysztof Langer" <klanger@xxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 22:14:40 +0200

Because it happened few time I would like to write a bit more detailed
info how I did crashed HAMMER with mount -t smbfs command.

First, DF was installed on eeepc with 20 GB ssd, named ad2 (4GB) and ad3
(16GB).
With installer I had to put DF on smaller disc (faster) and after
successful installation, I then added bigger disc with &#8220;hammer
volume-add /dev/ad3s0 /"  &#8594; is that correct?

I had no problem using HAMMER on such a small disk (disabled auto hammer
cleanup) until I wanted to connect my eeepc to other computer, mini
&#8220;server" running PC-BSD.

I did install and configured samba and had connection with PC-BSD, but
only one way &#8594; using PC-BSD or with smbclient (with this command I
could get&put files from PC-BSD using my eeepc).

Now everytime I tried to mount folder on PC-BSD (or Windows runnig
computer) with mount -t smbfs it failed and crashed (once using DF on
eeepc internal ssd and once using DF on a big 200GB external usb-hdd).

After such a crash I could boot into my root or user account but root
had no apps (not even cli / user had links/nano) available &#8211; both
failed to start X. There was data on disc but I could not &#8220;get" to
that data as it was not there. With &#8220;mount" all entries were
normal (checked it on freshly installed DF setup).

Folder /home/user had no sign of any data so did /mysnapshot or
/var/hammer but with df -h I did get the same info as before crash.

Got the same result when mounted those discs using DF live-cd.

So this is what happened &#8211; hope it helps developers. I now know,
that mounting smbfs is a HAMMER killer :)

Have no, fresh installation of DF (now mounted ad3 as /home not /
&#8594; maybe this is a better idea, don't know). For sure, I'll not try
to mount samaba share with eeepc :)
I do like HAMMER as a file system  & going to test it on eeepc with
small ssd (should I use noatime option?).