Re: DragonFly 64-bit stability

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:24:35 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:44:26PM -0400, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Fri, June 11, 2010 2:36 am, Francois Tigeot wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I don't believe Postgres is to blame either.
> > During the pkgsrc build, many make instances were also dying with signal
> > 11.
> >
> > Every time I have tested the amd64/x86-64 DragonFly port, I found out this
> > segfault problem was a constant.
>
> I don't see signal 11 errors on any of the failed builds for x86_64 that
> I've been doing as bulk builds.
>
> Has this happened on more than one x86_64 machine?  It's strange.

I've found the explanation:

The crashes are dependants on the value of the LANG environment variable.

With LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 (my default value), I get instant crashes in many
applications.
After unsetting $LANG, all applications run as intended, including Postgres.

I'll try to find more details and open a proper bug report soon.

--
Francois Tigeot