Re: SMP boot option?

From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:37:58 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 05.10.2010, 18:55 -0500 schrieb Tyler Mills:
> I don't know how many people do this, but usually my first step when
> building a Dragonfly BSD system is building an SMP kernel with
> APIC_IO.  I know there are some bugs for some people with regards to
> AHCI and other settings, but wouldn't it make sense to have an
> SMP/APIC_IO option for bootup? That way you can see if it works, if it
> fails boot another kernel.  Similar to how ACPI is treated.
>
> Just bouncing this idea off, I might end up just making my own ISO for
> this for my use, and could upload if needed.

Please try out my repo:

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~mneumann/dragonfly.git/shortlog/refs/heads/apic_io

For x86_64, it gets completely rid of compile time APIC_IO and
introduces a loader tunable hw.apic_io_enable. Right now it does not
compile non-SMP, but I will fix that later. Also i386 is not yet
supported, again, it's pretty easy and straightforward to bring in i386
support.

If we commit this to master, I'd like to see the distribution shiped
with an SMP kernel as well!

Regards,

  Michael