No package installation method works

From: Torbjorn Granlund <tg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:54:30 +0200

A long term *BSD user, I decided to extend our GNU package nightly test
system setup with Dragonfly BSD.  This is an install under
virtualisation (qemu or Xen).

The actual install went smoothly, but the package install have failed
utterly.

I found http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToPkgsrc/ and have
followed the various methods suggested there.  None works for me.

# uname -a
DragonFly biko-dflybsd64.gmplib.org 2.6-RELEASE DragonFly v2.6.3-RELEASE #10: Mon May  3 09:57:53 PDT 2010     root@pkgbox64.dragonflybsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src-misc/sys/X86_64_GENERIC  x86_64

Method 1:

    # pkg_radd bash
    pkg_add: Error: package `bash-4.1nb1' was built with a newer pkg_install version
    pkg_add: 1 package addition failed

(As far as I can tell, I am using the latest release of DragonFly.  And
even if I didn't, shouldn't it be possible to install a package with the
existing tools?)

Method 2:

    # cd /usr
    # make pkgsrc-create
    If problems occur you may have to rm -rf pkgsrc and try again.

    mkdir -p /usr/pkgsrc
    cd /usr/pkgsrc && git init
    Initialized empty Git repository in /usr/pkgsrc/.git/
    cd /usr/pkgsrc &&  git remote add origin git://git.dragonflybsd.org/pkgsrc.git
    cd /usr/pkgsrc && git fetch origin
    *** Error code 128

    Stop in /usr.

(This is not a temporary problem.  I retried this several consecutive days.)

Method 3 (from docs/handbook/handbook-pkgsrc-sourcetree-using/):

    # cd /usr
    # cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.us.netbsd.org:/cvsroot co pkgsrc
    # cd shells/bash
    # make
    Unknown modifier '!'

    Unknown modifier '!'

    Unknown modifier '!'

    "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk", line 717: if-less endif
    Unknown modifier 'u'

    Variable PKG_OPTIONS is recursive.

(It is not my typo to get netbsd's code.  This is what I am instructed
to do by the DragonFly web at the directory indicated.)

Question: How should I really install a package, e.g. shells/bash?

Question: Could the instructions please be corrected?  (Systematically
outdated documentation can actually be worse that no documentation,
since it takes time and effort to follow it and fail.  Also, such
documentation hides any existing correct documentation.)

--
Torbjörn