Re: MC not starting

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 14:05:38 -0500

Paul Onyschuk wrote:
I give up after fighting with pkgsrc for 2 hours.

pkgsrc does a pretty good job of replacing the environment
with a 'clean' one - so I'm not sure if the evnironment stuff
would take effect - you can e.g. 'bmake -d A ...' to get more information than you could ever want about things..

also theres a PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL or similar to see the details -
see also www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/ for sure

perhaps just for tests it might make sense to move your
system curses out of the way just to see what happens..

although, of course, ideally the 'proper' build should work..

I'm not well versed enough in the 'prefer pkgsrc' stuff to
know how to debug it - I'd think:

/usr/pkgsrc/mk/curses.buildlink3.mk
/usr/pkgsrc/mk/curses.builtin.mk

and maybe:

/usr/pkgsrc/mk/defaults/options.description
/usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.options.mk
/usr/pkgsrc/mk/pkg-build-options.mk

might be some things to check.. perhaps there's some bug there?

another idea maybe is to try another curses-using package to
see if it would build against your version - if so- perhaps
the particular package makefile needs some kind of option set..