Re: Random x86-64 seg-fault finally fixed

From: Oliver Fromme <check+ldvvva00rs2pkebb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Dec 2010 14:06:36 GMT

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
 >   I also expect to have a fine-grained VM solution at least for standard
 >   VM faults by the next release, hopefully sooner.  It appears to be the
 >   biggest bottleneck on the monster 48-core test box now.

Just out of curiosity, are there any plans for supporting
machines with 64 cores or even more?

For example, the Sun Fire X4800 (quite common in larger data
centers) supports eight Xeon 7500 packages which have eight
cores plus hyperthreading, which gives a 128-way SMP system.
Solaris, Linux and Windows support them, but I don't think
any of the BSDs does.

And that's certainly not the end.  256-way x86 systems have
been announced already.  Basically, it seems that the growth
of the number of cores has taken over the role of the growth
of clockrate (because the latter starts to face physical
limits).

Best regards
   Oliver