Re: kdebase-workspace4 error gmake[1]: *** [libs/ksysguard/processcore/CMakeFiles/ksysguardprocesslist_helper.dir/all] Error 2

From: Stephane Russell <srussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 17:50:42 -0500

I had a nightmare trying to compile pkgsrc stuff on DFBSD 2.8. I gave up
with KDE and Gnome, even MWM is not working right. I didn't try the
pre-compiled packages, but I decided to switched for a while to WindowMaker.

While working on a port to DFBSD, I'm getting this often as a result:

if defined(__FreeBSD__) | defined(__NetBSD__) | defined(__OpenBSD__) |
defined(__Darwin__) | defined(__DragonFly__)

Linux on it's side is using only one define, for a way larger market.
Even if BSDs remains different among each others, I think they should
try to be more source compatible to ease the ports and clean up the
source codes.

The pkgsrc manual suggests this:

«To distinguish between 4.4 BSD-derived systems and the rest of the
world, you should use the following code.

#include <sys/param.h>
#if (defined(BSD) && BSD >= 199306)
/* BSD-specific code goes here */
#else
/* non-BSD-specific code goes here */
#endif

If this distinction is not fine enough, you can also test for the
following macros.

FreeBSD     __FreeBSD__
DragonFly   __DragonFly__
Interix     __INTERIX
IRIX        __sgi (TODO: get a definite source for this)
Linux       linux, __linux, __linux__
NetBSD      __NetBSD__
OpenBSD     __OpenBSD__
Solaris     sun, __sun»