Re: How big is fully loaded?

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:14:07 -0500

On Wednesday 16 February 2011 18:37:13 Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Wed, February 16, 2011 11:12 am, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > If I wanted a system with every package loaded, and enough space for
> > recompiling the kernel every month and upgrading the packages every
> > quarter, how big would it be?
>
> I assume you mean disk size.  You'd want more disk space for whatever you
> actually do with the machine, other than installation/compilation.  Far
> more of my disk space is taken with music/images than with installed
> package binary files.
>
> I'd go for 500G - a cheap disk is that size these days, and that's more
> than you'd need for the basics.  You can probably go much smaller, but how
> much smaller is up to how you use it.

I was thinking, if I wanted /home to be encrypted, or shared with Linux on the
same laptop, or both (LUKS is LUKS, right?), how much disk space should I
allocate to everything but /home?

I also saw lvm next to cryptsetup. Does it work the same way as in Linux? I've
been using lvm since at least 2007.

Pierre
--
lo ponse be lo mruli po'o cu ga'ezga roda lo ka dinko