Re: usb wifi stick

From: Joe Talbott <josepht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:58:20 -0400

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:41:19PM +0000, Chris Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 08:28:44AM +0200, Sascha Wildner wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:26:34 +0200, Andrew Boehringer
> > <andrewboehringertek@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Currently, we don't have a working USB wifi driver, unfortunately.
> >

> What happened to rum(4) , for example?
>
> I do see it is in tree but not built in GENERIC -
>
> I could swear I used that in the ~2.6ish days -
> granted it is a 'g' device - but, this is relatively recent.

When we switched to the wifi stack ported from FreeBSD by Rui Paulo
rum(4) and friends didn't get ported over.  Part of the reason is that
FreeBSD updated/replaced their USB stack which complicates porting.  I
have a rum(4) device and the aspiration to get it ported, but am
currently unable to find the time to do it.

If anyone has the time and motivation to port a usb wifi driver I'd be
more than willing to offer any help I can give.

There has been discussion of updating our USB stack but I'm not
certain we want to just blindly port FreeBSD's stack.

Thanks,
Joe