Re: Real World DragonFlyBSD Hammer DeDup figures from HiFX - Reclaiming more than 1/4th ( 30% ) Disk Space from an Almost Full Drive

From: "Sascha Wildner" <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:56:38 +0200

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:23:16 +0200, Siju George <sgeorge.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Thomas Keusch
<fwd+usenet-spam2011q3@bsd-solutions-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

nice statistics. I can not provide stats of my own, as I don't run Dragonfly yet, so I'm more of a hypothetical user right now. But one thing that's of interest to me is how long did the de-dupe process take?

I ran them one by one. at my own pace but the biggest two simultaneously did not take more than 2 hrs. So I guess 2-3 hrs would be a nice approximation :-)

My experiences were different on a file system containing a lot of data (>2TB).

I didn't try dedup itself but a dedup-simulate already ran for more than two days (consuming a lot of memory in the process) before I finally cancelled it.

So yes, dedup seems to run fine but in my experience doesn't yet scale very well to larger amounts of data.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx