Re: DRM/GEM how to proceed

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso.tepper@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 23:31:07 +0300

On 04.10.11 22:22, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I happen to have a Core i5 laptop with integrated Intel graphics.
> Unfortunately recent versions of xf86-video-intel need kernel support
> to work. Most notably the GEM interface needs to be implemented in the
> kernel.

It's not only about GEM, but KMS as well. As far as I know only FreeBSD
folks have (somewhat) working KMS code. OpenBSD has only GEM implemented
and is maintaining de facto a fork of the intel driver because of that.
But modifying the intel driver can't be avoided anyway.

I'd recommend to go to the FreeBSD route. We share the DRM code which
should make a lot of things easier, especially in KMS land.

--
Hasso