Re: sharing files between DF guest and Win host in VirtualBox

From: Matthias Rampke <matthias@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:28:04 +0100

On Freitag, 9. Dezember 2011 at 00:48, sweepslate wrote:

> However, in the meantime, I just noticed that DF can't access the
> Internet. This is an issue I need to take in a VBox forum.

Be aware of the different VirtualBox network types – from the top of my head the most important ones:

- Bridge – as if your VM was connected physically to the same Ethernet (or WLAN, but to the VM it will appear as regular ethernet). This case is IMHO the easiest to use and configure and you can reach the VM from any computer on the network. Internet access will work with this just as it works for everything else. Downside is that you have to decide on a host interface to use (e.g. if I use my MacBook's Ethernet it won't work via WiFi and vice versa).

- NAT – VBox will create a virtual, internal network and act as a router for it. Gives internet access to the VM, but the VM can't be accessed from outside the host. Also, in usual home network configurations, this ends up in a double-NAT situation (address being translated once on the VBox host and then on the network router) which may or may not sometimes break stuff.

- Internal – the same, but without any routing. VM can only be accessed by host and can only access host (unless you do the routing manually).

Maybe you chose the Internal option? try switching to NAT and/or Bridging.

/matthiasr