Re: FAILURE - READ_DMA48 status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND> LBA=441504576

From: McLone <mclone@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:45:54 +0300

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 17:30, Siju George <sgeorge.ml2@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM, McLone <mclone@gmail.com> wrote:
>> looks like something is wrong with an interface,
> I have plugged in the Disk to another SATA port.
> I guess by interfce you ment the SATA port?
i meant a port + PHY + SATA chip, as a whole.
> Do I need to use a newer version of smartctl?
well you can try and see if it fixes those spooky numbers.

>> Problematic LBAs are always assorted, or grouped?
> I didn't get this. Could you please explain? :-)
the logical block addresses you see in error logs may be random,
or problematic LBAs can fall into one or more ranges.
For example it can be 5200000 to 5350000 or so, or from, say, 71000000
to the very end of disk...
What LBAs generate errors in Your observations?
Did You tried a simple dd sequential read/write?

> Could you please let me know some test I can do to check for delays?
I guess i've mentioned this earlier:
under winblows You can use HDTach (it shows nice graphs),
alternatively You can boot from MHDD iso and use that (F4 IIRC, and
then You can command it to skip fwd/back with arrow keys to reassure
that the delay is right there),
alternatively You can scribble some script to either SIGINFO dd and
plot dd's stderr, or to fork dd (in a single user system) to do one chunk
at a time and measure that time, but i guess it'll be just too crude :-)
--
wbr,                        |\      _,,,---,,_           dog bless ya!