Re: Xen/VM?

From: "Martin Kelly" <martin.kelly90000@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 16:52:44 +0200

--========GMXBoundary15715133666156510081

Hey Alexey,
 Just to clarify with you:
 Xen host; is the host operating system that interacts directly with the hardware and the guest OS.
 Xen guest; is the guest operating system that sits on top (in a sense) of the host OS and interacts with host only in most cases.

 But from my understanding of EC2 and Xen and from your question i am going to take a guess and assume you mean as a Xen Guest.

 From this link:
 http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/user/Comparison_with_Linux/

 To bluntly answer your question i would say unfortunately not.

 However, you could get around this by using another Xen compatible OS and running a virtual machine (e.g. virtualbox, vmware, qemu, virtual pc) instance of DragonflyBSD.

 I don't fully understand how the Amazon EC2 works as i have never used it; whether there Xen server is locked to the particular OS's they list on their website or whether you can freely install any xen compatible OS.

 I do not know. However, if your just after a unix/unix-like OS i suggest you try FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris. All are xen compatible. Solaris is very fast on xen, can actually be faster on virtual hardware than physical.

 Martin

 Not sure if this is the right list to ask this in. But is there any work on a Xen host for Dragonfly? I would love to try it out on EC2, and HAMMER on EBS should be pretty sweet.

 Thanks!
 -Alexey

Martin Kelly

--========GMXBoundary15715133666156510081

ey,<br />=20
Just to clarify with you:<br />=20
Xen host; is the host operating system that interacts directly with the har=
dware and the guest OS.<br />=20
Xen guest; is the guest operating system that sits on top (in a sense) of t=
he host OS and interacts with host only in most cases.<br />=20
But from my understanding of EC2 and Xen and from your question i am going =
to take a guess and assume you mean as a Xen Guest.<br />=20