Re: Xen/VM?

From: Siju George <sgeorge.ml2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:16:12 +0530

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
<iam@juanfra.info> wrote:

> Dfly doesn't support Xen. Some providers support HVM (not Amazon) and
> you can give a try to dfly in this environment. I don't know if dfly
> works on Xen HVM or not. Probably the performance will be poor.

Actually FreeBSD now runs on Amazon using HVM.
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2012-01-16-FreeBSD-now-on-all-EC2-instance-types.html

I guess something similar can be done with dragonfly as well.

Currently Amazon detects HVM instances as Windows instances and charge
you the MS windows licence fee.

Recently I attended a training by Amazon in Bangalore and I raised
this issue during the Question & Answer session to the Amazon folks.

The reply I got was that this work to get FreeBSD running without the
additional cost is in their to-do list but it is not of high priority.
To make them increase the priority one thing that can be done is for
users to mention or request it in their forums. The discussions
happening in the forums adds to the priority of a task.

So I guess the user group can make this happen fast if the
requirements are made known in their forum.

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/forum.jspa?forumID=30

Thanks

Siju