Re: bulk build was: computer hung

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:59:53 -0400

On Tuesday 05 June 2012 16:15:15 Justin Sherrill wrote:
> You're still going to end up building 12,500 packages.  The -q option
> just doesn't update the pkgsrc files, which makes the startup time a
> bit shorter.  You are going down the wrong path for what you want to
> do.

No I'm not. What I want to do is build all the packages, so that anyone who
wants to upgrade can do so easily. What is the correct way to restart a bulk
build where it left off? Who's going to build the packages for 2012Q2, since
your computer has crashed?

> If you want to rebuild your python packages, write down the ones you
> have installed, remove the ones you have now, and reinstall.  You may
> be able to to do this with a few commands with pkg_chk.

I have no idea what they do; they must have been installed as dependencies of
something else. I don't know why the default was switched to 2.7. I do know
that upgrading with pkgin is easy and takes a few hours, while upgrading with
pkg_rolling-replace takes weeks and is prone to failure, and the system is
hosed, as far as running some programs is concerned, while it's upgrading.

li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci