Re: DragonFly GUI desktop at work - not bad at all

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:34:24 +0200

On 7/20/2012 17:12, Stéphane Russell wrote:
> Wojciech Puchar a écrit :
>>> despite of an error message at startup is working fine, as long as
>>> I'm not trying to configure it, since GConf is not working.
>>
>> just use windows manager like cwm or fvwm2+your own configuration.
>> I for example use my 9 year old .fvwm2rc which results in cwm-alike
>> environment.
>>
>> it's really easier to just run program you need (like openoffice
>> writer, mail client, gimp etc.) instead of running bells and whistles
>> like Gnome.
>>
>> I assume you need workstation (==computer to do actual work). Gnome
>> nor XFCE nor KDE doesn't help in doing actual work.
>>
> I always try to use Gnome whenever possible, and fall back to XFCE when
> it's not.

It might be time to rethink that approach.  The gnome library version
numbers are all mismatched.  Some are 2.24, others 2.26, others 2.32.
Effectively they can't all be brought to the current level of glib2 due
to the increasing amount of linux-only functionality there.  The days of
Gnome on non-Linux might be numbered, at least modern Gnome...

On the flipside, KDE has been compiling completely and all the modules
have matching versions numbers.  Currently KDE 3.5 just lost regressed a
module or two, but before that we had fully building KDE 3.5 and 4.8.x.

XFCE has been building as well, but it's still on 4.6

John