Re: GCC 4.7.2 : Get it into DragonFly 3.2 or wait for 3.3 branch?

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:27:38 +0200

On 9/24/2012 20:47, Justin Sherrill wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2012 10:45 AM, "John Marino" <dragonflybsd@marino.st
> <mailto:dragonflybsd@marino.st>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Option 1:
>  > Import GCC 4.7.2 and disable GCC 4.1 prior to the branch.  GCC 4.4
> would remain the primary compiler.  Risk is minimal as GCC 4.1 is not
> used anywhere, including pkgsrc.  GCC 4.1 source and makefiles would
> remain in place well into DragonFly 3.3 development
>
> (Snip)
>
> This makes general sense to me, as it doesn't change the working
> compiler.  This would work well for moving to gcc 4.7 in our 3.4 release.
>
> The pkgsrc-2012q3 release is due at month end and I have some major
> events happening at work.  My thought was that we branch next week, with
> actual release two weeks after that.  Does that give enough time to get
> it in?  I don't know if that will be enough for everyone; it's just my
> inital plan.

Assuming all the changes necessary to bring in GCC 4.7.2 are complete by
Sunday, I'd recommend waiting 8 days (the following Monday) to branch
and maintaining the 14 days to release.  I think 8 days would be enough
time to flush out any world build problems, not that I plan on
introducing any.

It also gives a little more time to flush out any anomalies with the
revamped usched_dfly.

John