Re: GCC 4.7.2 : Get it into DragonFly 3.2 or wait for 3.3 branch?

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:02:27 +0200

On 9/28/2012 04:31, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM, John Marino<dragonflybsd@marino.st>  wrote:
>
>> Assuming all the changes necessary to bring in GCC 4.7.2 are complete by
>> Sunday, I'd recommend waiting 8 days (the following Monday) to branch and
>> maintaining the 14 days to release.  I think 8 days would be enough time to
>> flush out any world build problems, not that I plan on introducing any.
>>
>> It also gives a little more time to flush out any anomalies with the
>> revamped usched_dfly.
>
> I am OK with this - anyone else object?
>
> John, do you have time for those changes?

Hi Justin,
I ran into i386-specific and bootstrapping issues that took a couple of
days to work though.  I have committed gcc47 to the trunk though.
Here's some things to note:

1) GCC44 can build world include GCC47 just fine
2) GCC47 can't build world yet because it has a few new error messages
that prevent the build from completing when -Werror is used.
3) Theoretically setting NO_WERROR globally would work around this, but
I haven't done it yet
4) I'm slowly fixing all the codes issues with WORLD_CCVER=gcc47 but
several breaks remain
5) There's an incompatibility issue with gcc4.4-built CSU files that
results in no error handling frame getting added when WORLD_CCVER=gcc47.
  I need to work through that.

The bottom line is people can use gcc47 through the CCVER=gcc47
mechanism, but nobody should expect to use WORLD_CCVER=gcc47
successfully yet.  That's forward work.  Hopefully we'll be further
along before the branch.

GCC41 has been disabled, so only two compilers will build on trunk.

Regards,
John