Re: DragonFly BSD now builds with bmake. Here are some notes...

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 19:34:44 +0100

On 10/28/2012 14:42, John Marino wrote:
> I've just completed replacing DragonFly's legacy "make" program with the
> latest version of NetBSD's "bmake" program, version 2012-10-10, in the
> base system. The program name is still "make" of course.
>
> If at all convenient, I recommend performing a full build sequence
> (buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld, upgrade). This
> has been tested on both platforms and works.
>
> I believe it is possible to use "quickworld", but it will be trickier.
> You would probably have to do something like "make quickworld; make
> installworld" and then when you want to update kernel, you won't be able
> to use "make buildkernel". You'd have to use the command "make
> nativekernel" for each new kernel until the next buildworld is executed.
>
> For the most part the change should be transparent, but bmake does
> dedicate one line of output for each target, so the build log will be
> more verbose now.

I missed updating one of the mk files during the bmake replacement and
as a result, several kernel modules were misbuilt.  In case documented
by bug#2442 ( http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/2442 ), the system
panicked when trying to load acpi.ko.  In my cases, acpi.ko simply
didn't show up in kldstat, but the system otherwise worked.

So if you've built world and kernel with the new bmake already, you
should pull the latest source and do "make buildkernel; make
installkernel" to restore your kernel modules.

John