Re: Reply on advice for pkg, kde, nvidia, and vmware

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 23:14:16 +0100

On 2/22/2013 22:52, rll@insightbb.com wrote:
> How do I get "pkg" installed? Sorry to be dense on this but its not in
> pkgsrc.

When you try to build any port from source, pkg is built first.  You can
also built pkg by "cd /usr/dports/ports-mgmt/pkg && make install".
At that point you could install binaries if you had a repository.

> Do I need to do a rm -rf pkgsrc and get rid of pkgsrc?

/usr/pkgsrc can stay.
I'd would recommend "mv /usr/pkg /usr/pkg.moved" so the conflict
resolution isn't so drastic.

> Isn't kde4 a phone app interface? If I wanted Window 8 I'd go get a
> psychiatric evaluation first or just go blow my brains out.

xfce 4.10 might be for you then for the basic desktop.

> Too bad about nvidia. I thought dragonfly bragged about have good
> drivers for nvidia.

I'm not aware of that bragging.
John