Re: X not working after upgrade to 3.4

From: Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 11:05:07 +0100

Dear Justin

Thanks for your help.

2: If switching to the vesa driver is just

   $ diff xorg.conf.intel xorg.conf.vesa
   < 	Driver      "intel"
   > 	Driver      "vesa"

   # Xorg -config xorg.conf.vesa

Then that was worse: the crash was faster, and the error log was longer.
config and log here:

1: I downloaded the i386 tarball, and I see
/usr/pkgsrc/x11/xf86-video-intel.  Is there a man page or a tutorial
that will explain how I should delete the existing driver and install
the old one?  For the last five years my main machine has been a mac.

On 12/05/2013 23:45, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Harald Hellmuth
> <harald.hellmuth@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've got an similar problem on a thinkpad X30 with Intel's i830 Chipset
>> and the "intel" driver.
>> On DragonFly 3.2.2 X has worked fine.
> It's sounding like there's something in x11/xf86-video-intel, or at
> least that seems to be the common thread.
> You could:
> 1: Delete the existing driver and install the old one and see what that does.
> http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/x86_64/DragonFly-3.2/stable/All/xf86-video-intel-2.7.1nb6.tgz
> http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/i386/DragonFly-3.2/stable/All/xf86-video-intel-2.7.1nb6.tgz
> (pick the appropriate link for your architecture, 32 or 64 bit)
> or, 2:
> Switch to the vesa driver in xorg.conf and see if the problem goes
> away (probably an easier test.)
> If the problem goes away when you switch to vesa, it's the driver.  If
> it goes away when you switch to the older version of the driver, it's
> the current version of the driver.  If it doesn't go away, I'm not
> sure...

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD

                         festina lente