Re: X not working after upgrade to 3.4

From: Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 16:43:13 +0100

Dear Justin

pkg_delete wouldn't let me :(, still required by modular-xorg-drivers-1.4

It seems a shame that this is stopping me using DragonFly BSD.

If I were to reinstall version 3.2 (which had X working), could I
investigate this problem while still being able to use the OS?  Could I
run 3.2 and try to switch in the newer modular-xorg (and switch it out
again if it doesn't work)?

Thanks for your patience on this

Ivan

On 14/05/2013 17:46, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> I don't see anything in the log that shows an error - it just dies.  I
> don't know what's causing it.  As for switching out the driver:
>
> pkg_delete xf86-video-intel
>
> and then
>
> pkg_add -r http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/i386/DragonFly-3.2/pkgsrc-2012Q3/All/xf86-video-intel-2.7.1nb6.tgz
>
> Would remove the newer driver and add back the old intel video driver.
>   I'm not 100% sure this will work; pkgsrc might complain about the old
> diver having version dependencies that aren't met by the other
> software.
>
> If it doesn't help, you can repeat those steps but add this newer
> version for 3.4 back in, with a pkg_add -r :
>
> http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/i386/DragonFly-3.4/stable/All/xf86-video-intel-2.7.1nb6.tgz
>
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@llaisdy.com> wrote:
>> Dear Justin
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> 2: If switching to the vesa driver is just
>>
>>    $ diff xorg.conf.intel xorg.conf.vesa
>>    69c69
>>    <     Driver      "intel"
>>    ---
>>    >     Driver      "vesa"
>>
>> and
>>
>>    # Xorg -config xorg.conf.vesa
>>
>> Then that was worse: the crash was faster, and the error log was longer.
>> config and log here:
>>
>>    https://gist.github.com/llaisdy/5567294
>>
>> 1: I downloaded the i386 tarball, and I see
>> /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xf86-video-intel.  Is there a man page or a tutorial that
>> will explain how I should delete the existing driver and install the old
>> one?  For the last five years my main machine has been a mac.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ivan
>>

>> On 12/05/2013 23:45, Justin Sherrill wrote:

>>> It's sounding like there's something in x11/xf86-video-intel, or at
>>> least that seems to be the common thread.
>>>
>>> You could:
>>>
>>> 1: Delete the existing driver and install the old one and see what that
>>> does.
>>>

>>> http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/x86_64/DragonFly-3.2/stable/All/xf86-video-intel-2.7.1nb6.tgz
>>>
>>> http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/i386/DragonFly-3.2/stable/All/xf86-video-intel-2.7.1nb6.tgz
>>>
>>> (pick the appropriate link for your architecture, 32 or 64 bit)
>>>
>>> or, 2:
>>>
>>> Switch to the vesa driver in xorg.conf and see if the problem goes
>>> away (probably an easier test.)
>>>
>>> If the problem goes away when you switch to vesa, it's the driver.  If
>>> it goes away when you switch to the older version of the driver, it's
>>> the current version of the driver.  If it doesn't go away, I'm not
>>> sure...
>>>

>> --
>> Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
>> Llaisdy
>> Speech Technology Research and Development

> [...]

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy